What should I do when I receive my cholla wood?
In order to arrive in top notch condition, the SunGrow Cholla Wood pieces are shipped to you completely dry. To remove any potential contaminants picked up in transit, it is recommended that you rinse, boil and soak before placing them in your tank. For an underwater environment, simply soak them in water in a separate container for 24-48 hours until they become waterlogged and easily sink to the bottom of your tank. If you plan to introduce them to an established environment, soak them for a few extra hours in similarly conditioned water before adding in the environment.
In a dry habitat for hermit crabs, reptiles or birds, it is best to boil the cholla wood pieces and then bake them to fully dry them and rid the cholla cactus husk of any bacteria.
What types of pets enjoy the cholla wood pieces?
All natural, thorn-free and organically grown, the SunGrow Cholla Wood is safe for all types of pets. Aquatic pets such as dwarf shrimp, snails, pleco and species of fish enjoy swimming around and hiding in these hollow, holed pieces of wood. Pet owners with land pets like hermit crabs, chinchillas, hamsters, rabbits and all kinds of reptiles place the cholla wood in cages and tanks to encourage activity as these pets love to climb on and relax atop the beautiful pieces of wood. Parrots, cockatiels and other birds use the cholla wood as a healthy chew toy.
Will the cholla wood lower my tank’s ph level or darken my water?
As a natural plant, the dried cholla cactus husk does lower the ph levels in your aquarium or tank, but not enough to affect your shrimp or aquatic pets. The 6″ x 1″ (15cm x 2.5cm) cholla wood pieces do release a small amount of tannins which could darken your water, but far less than traditional driftwood. By boiling, rinsing and soaking the wood before placing them in your tank, you greatly reduce the tannins and clouding of your water.
- ✔ ORGANICALLY GROWN AND DRIED, 100% SAFE — As the dried husk of a naturally grown Cholla cactus, these organic wood pieces are free from any trace of pesticides, chemicals or other potentially harmful substances. Keeping the safety of your pets in mind, the cholla wood is thorn-free, has no sharp edges and gets softer the longer it stays in your tank, cage or aquarium.
- ✔ SAFE HIDING SPOT FOR BABY SHRIMP — Fish, fry and particularly adventure loving shrimp benefit greatly from the addition of SunGrow Cholla Wood pieces to their tanks. They love to swim around or camp out in intriguing, perforated wood pieces. The cholla wood is hollowed out so that baby shrimp and other smaller species have a safe and secure hiding spot when they are molting or feeling vulnerable.
- ✔ LONG TERM NATURAL FOOD SOURCE — A smart choice for any conscientious pet owner, the attractive and multi-functional SunGrow Cholla Wood pieces are more than just a decoration or climbing or chew toy. The healthy cholla wood is also a natural food source that lasts for years. Microorganisms and biofilm that grow on the wood provide shimps, fish, snails and other pets with additional nutrition. Eventually, the wood will break down and disintegrate on its own.
- ✔ HEALTHY, NUTRITIONAL CHEW TOY — Aquatic and terrestrial pets alike enjoying chewing on the soft, nutritional cholla wood pieces from SunGrow. After they arrive and are properly quarantined, the cholla cactus husks are ready to be placed into an underwater habitat with pleco, glo fish and shrimp or in a dry terrarium or cage for guinea pigs, chinchillas or hamsters. The wood even works as a pecking toy for pet birds like parakeets and cockatiels.
- ✔ BEAUTIFUL AQUARIUM DECORATION — Since the 3 pieces of cholla wood from SunGrow are organically grown, each 6″ x 1″ (15cm x 2.5cm) piece has it’s own knots and bends. The slightly different appearance makes them a unique and beautiful decoration for your aquarium, water decoration or shrimp tank. PREPARATION: Before placing the product in the aquarium, rinse before use, even after boiling or soaking. A “post-boil soak” in fresh water with a bag of activated carbon is a recommended step, too
Planning A Home Improvement Project? Read This Advice
Even if you are not exactly handy, some home improvement tips can prove to be useful. You just need the proper information to get your dream home. Look at these awesome home improvement tips.
If you use motion sensor lights instead of regular porch lights, you will lower your electric costs. You will still be able to turn the light on, and many models allow you to select different sensitivity thresholds.
When it comes to high-impact updates, few things are more gratifying than new flooring in your home. You can either hire a good company, or do the job yourself, and install carpet, hardwood and more in at least a day.
Spend some time shopping around for the best deals on the best products to use in your home prior to buying anything. It costs a lot of money to install new flooring, and if you compare prices, you can keep your expenses to a minimum. There are places you can buy construction and remodeling supplies at a discount.
Instead of choosing a pre-made coffee table, choose something unique. You can get not only a unique conversation piece by using something like a chest or an old trunk but also some extra storage space. Place some books, magazines and other odds and ends on top of the coffee table to give it a unique look. You can even give it a country feel by including some teacups and a tablecloth.
Prior to beginning work on any electrical appliance or lighting fixture, make sure the circuit breaker switch for that area of the house is turned off. This is such a simple thing, and it can be the difference between life or death.
With all of the great knowledge that you have accumulated here, you are now more ready than ever to turn that dream project into a reality. Everything you’ve just read will empower you to make informed decisions and successful choices in your projects.